Wednesday, February 27, 2013

On Eating Healthy

In the past, I always associated eating healthy everyday with being incredibly boring and not flavorful. I was definitely wrong! I thought it would be fun to share some of my favorite healthy meal ideas/snacks.  I've never really been that much of an unhealthy eater.  I grew up with parents who ate healthy and I learned most of these ideas from them while growing up.  Let's break it down into categories, shall we?

Breakfast:

-Cliff Bars are one of my absolute favorite breakfast items.  My two favorites are Oatmeal Raisin and Blueberry Crunch.  I grab one on the way out the door and eat it right when I get into school while I'm doing a few things to prepare for the day.  They are a good amount of calories, protein and keep you full until snack time/lunch (some days there is no time for a mid-morning snack).

-Whole Wheat Bagel Thins.  These are delicious and cut way down on carbs because they are not as "bready" as the regular bagels.  I do a thin layer of Fat Free Cream Cheese on mine and it is delicious.

Lunch:

-Tuna Pouches.  These are the greatest things ever!  It's the perfect amount of tuna and tastes so fresh.  I take about 2 TBS. of dill relish to mix in with mine and usually just eat it like that.  Sometimes, I will take a whole wheat sandwich thin and put the tuna and relish on that for a spin on healthy tuna salad.

-Popcorn Chips.  I usually count out about 14 chips and this provides the perfect salty fix.  I also like pretzels which appeases my salty tooth.

-1 TBS. of peanut butter.  I love eating peanut butter from a spoon and so I measure out 1 TBS. and this is my little "treat" at lunch on some days.

-I try to take some kind of fruit or veggie as well.  Lately, I have rotated oranges, bananas, strawberries and blueberries.

*That's usually about all I eat for lunch.  I don't have much time to eat and I usually eat while I'm working on something.  When I'm super busy,  I don't have time to wish that I had something more to eat.

Dinner:

-One thing that has really kept me on track is eating what we want for dinner.  Now, this doesn't mean we have fast food or a "carb overload" meal.  But, if pizza sounds good, then pizza it is.  We will just make sure to make a thin crust, use more sauce instead of cheese and only eat 2 pieces.  Easy enough!

-Another for instance, I made chicken tacos in the crock pot last week.  Super easy and yummy meal - chicken breast, salsa and taco seasoning.  I bought whole wheat carb smart tortillas, a dollop of fat free sour cream and homemade guacamole with lime juice and garlic.  Delicious and mostly healthy!

-Sweet potatoes (plain) are delicious - Such an easy transition instead of white/yellow potatoes.

-Another one of our favorites lately is smoothie night.  About once a week, Ty and I get smoothies from Tropical Smoothie for dinner.  I love the Peanut Paradise - Peanuts + Banana and Whey Protein.

-I really watch my portions with dinner, allowing me to basically eat whatever sounds good.  You can put a healthy spin on most anything that sounds good!

Snacks:

-Greek yogurt is my favorite snack.  I love the FAGE blueberry or the Chobani blueberry and raspberry.

-Turkey pepperonis have a lot of protein and are very lean. They are so delicious!

-An avocado with salsa


The food listed above is currently what is on my grocery list/rotation.  I love learning about new, healthy recipes.  Let's share! What are some of your favorites?  

love, the Blair Abode



No comments:

Post a Comment