Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Small, adorable desk...

...that's what has been on my mind lately.  I love small desks/built-ins worked into kitchens. I've been dreaming of a spot like this off of our kitchen.  Our town-home isn't the most spacious, but I think I could make this work.  It would require some rearranging, which I think is what is causing me to ponder instead of running 100mph to find that perfect desk.


Let's talk about some of the uses for a desk by our kitchen.  I'm talking a small, "airy" desk.  Preferably white, or a pop of color:

  • Creating grocery lists/menu planning
  • Any type of computer work
  • Grading papers/lesson planning
  • Totally adorable
I think those would be my top four uses of a desk by the kitchen.  I won't lie.  Maybe the totally adorable factor is #1 on my list.  There's nothing wrong with that is there?  I love a cozy, warm area.  I'm always decorating/re-arranging/adding to.  

One thought that has entered my mind is the possibility of moving into a home that doesn't have a spot for the desk near the kitchen.  Problem solved: place the desk in a guest room/Baby Blair's room. Baby Blair does not exist yet, but one day he/she will! I love desks in kids room, so I'm not worried about the idea of not always using it in the kitchen.

One thing that I'm not sure about is space.  The desk would go in the spot where our green cabinet currently lives.    The green cabinet would have to find a new home, but still close to the front door.  Our green cabinet is our "catch-all" spot. We can't move this piece away from the front door.  I'm worried that the entry area would become cluttered.  Thoughts?   


Now, for the best part. Pictures.  I've put together a few pictures so that you have visualize the look I'm wanting to achieve...

Basic Sawhorse Desk from Pier 1 on sale for $160. 


I love the lightness and texture of this wastebasket.  Not even sure I'd use it as a trash can, but possibly as storage (I'd sit it on the floor next to the desk either way). Wastebasket from Pier 1 for $20.

I love this! I would totally add this to the left/right corner of the desk to hold all of those wonderful office supplies.  Basket from Pier 1 for $18.


Love this lamp.  The best part is that I already own this lamp, and haven't found a spot for it since moving.  How perfect is that?


I'd either go for a chair like this (such a fun color), or a vintage colored chair.  Right now, I'd just snag one from another room in the house!

The price break down adds up to roughly $200 total for a new desk, wastebasket and organizer.  Not too bad if ya ask me.  What are your thoughts of my desk dilemma?  I'd love to hear your ideas on what would be best for the space.

love, the Blair Abode

No comments:

Post a Comment